Re: Footnotes/Endnotes formatting

Reply to note from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  Wed,
09 Jan 2008 13:54:19 -0500

Patricia:

> I assumed that putting EX in there would close the window for
> entering the footnote matter, but I see it doesn't.

No, just good hygiene. To close the footnote window, use func XD
(to keep the edits made since the window was opened) or func ES (to
discard the edits).

> But what are the two CR/LF s for? They don't seem to do
> anything.

Nothing, just white space. You can kill 'em.

> Of course, always error checking, but I at first did not see
> how it would be possible to have an error condition. Later, of
> course, it occurred to me that if you called the routine from
> the CommanDLine (with the cursor NOT in text), you would
> definitely have an error condition.

The cursor doesn't need to be in text, as long as a file is open for
editing. The two most likely errors are No window (VA$ER==81) or No
file (7). Another possibility is Read-only file (389).

>> XPLeNCODE v2.0
>> b-gin [UNTITLED]
>> nn=NOJM2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,Q2x,m, ,B,X,f,n,1,Q,2,[,i,f,@,n,
>> o,t,(,[,e,r,],),],.,{tab},[,e,i,],NO[cr|lf][cr|lf]
>> -nd
>> XPLeNCODE
> Would that be more saving of memory than first creating a frame,
> then assigning NOJM2,.,m,k,f,t,n,Q2 ?

No, but it uses existing frames, PrsKbdArg and XM(acro), to achieve
the same saving.

> hypercorrection: the person who is reprimanded for "that's him"
> (which is technically ungrammatical, but definitely idiomatic)
> starts saying "between you and I" and "give it to she" (which
> are both ungrammatical and unidiomatic).

But getting more idiomatic all the time, or so it seems, based on
how common they are. What bothers me, more than the whittling away
of what little inflection is left in the language, is the prissy
notion that it's rude to say "me" in polite company. An overblown
fear of giving offense is what drives these stupid utterances; the
accusative taken to a literal extreme. It's ridiculous.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx