universal release-define?

Before I start playing around with XPL I'd better ask:

Does anyone have an easy way of releasing defined text in
windows other than the one currently open (in XyWrite, of course)?

I have two particular concerns:

1)  I always have a little anxiety that I will be working on several
docuements, forget I have something defined in the last window
open (the "alternate screen"), and hit the Move function when
nothing is defined in my current window.  This can be corrected, of
course, but it can be annoying and a bit of a mess.

2)  Sometimes I want to copy text from an alternate screen and
then release the definition without having to go back to the other
screen. Ideally this would be a generalized copy-and-release
function that would work within the current document as well as
alternate screens.

The second of these is pretty easy do manage, but some of you
may have come up with an elegant *general* way to deal with
releasing defined text.

Thanks.
Myron