Re: Countries with needless definite article.

[Patricia M. Godfrey:]
What I've seen in British novels is "So and so is in hospital."
   Oh, we would say that in Australia too - but I took the question
to be specifically about the idiom of "*going* to/in hospital", not
about "*being*" there - and I answered accordingly. We would say that
a person already there is "in hospital" - without the definite
article. Conceivably we might say someone is in *the* hospital if it
was referring to a particular hospital, and if we were for some reason
focusing on that particular hospital.
But I think the distinction between "to" for Latin in with the accusative
and "in" for Latin in with the ablative holds in both versions of English.
   I'm not sure about that. And I did learn Latin at school, too,
but am not clear on how far subtleties of that sort transfer to English.
So Brits and Americans go "to": Brits to hospital, Americans to the
hospital. And Brits are in hospital, Americans in the hospital.
   To clarify: Australians would "go to hospital" and would "be in
hospital". It seems as if Australian usage is largely similar to
British. But Australians would rarely if ever "go in/into hospital".

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.