Re: Winmail.dat, anyone else getting this at the end of mail...

                         Michael Edwards.

[Frank Heydenrych:]

>I DID change it a month ago, and confirmed it was gone. It's the MIME
>setting in Control Panel (I think). Seeing as my MIME box is still
>unticked, is it possible the problem is on Russ's side? Is anyone else
>receiving my WINMAIL.DAT attachment?

   I don't get an actual attachment, identified as such (I use Outlook Express
version 4) - but very short e-mails seem to be 4 Kb. or so, far longer than I
would normally expect a few lines to be.
   I looked at the source code to see why this happens, and I found at the end
a lot of unreadable code that looks a bit like an executable file. It is
labelled (in one instance, at least) "begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT".
   It seems to do no harm - but with all the viruses around (and a good share
of virus hoaxes too) I've got a bit paranoid about viruses, and I guess things
like this do worry me a bit, as does anything unexpected or unusual.
   But Outlook Express gives no indication of an attachment, and I wouldn't
have guessed there was anything unusual if I hadn't noticed the size discrepancy
or looked at the source code.

             Regards,
             Michael Edwards.