Re: OT: some questions for our Apple + Parallels Users

Harry,

The license part depends on whether you have an OEM license or a retail
license. You can switch the retail license to another computer, OEM is
tied to one.

Parallels transporter may well be able to do the trick if the computer
is in working order. And maybe you can purchase an XP license for a
small amount on eBay if needed.

Jordan,

I was under the impression that the rig this exercise was to be tried on
was not very powerful. If that is the case, virtualization is not a very
good option. Furthermore, I am not sure if Apple is a must for artists.

My first thought would be to resuscitate the applications that are the
reason for sticking to Windows or to replace them with something else on
the Mac or on the PC. By resuscitating, I mean making them operational
or installable in a new PC system. This may mean locating disks on eBay
or just copying the folder and associated register settings to a new PC.
It is not as easy as restoring an XP image, but the result would much
better. In any case, I would ultimately ditch the XP system.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx

*** Lexitec Online ***

  - I don't recall paying for any new license.   - I transferred a (working) XP over to the MacBook, using the Parallels "transporter" or whatever it's called; because I was going from a completely functional XP system, I didn't have to use any image or cloud (but it took about 13 hours!) In the end, it depends on what she is trying to do. Does she *want* to move to Apple? Is the learning curve in going from XP to Win 7 to steep for her? Etc. Regards, Harry