RE: Finding W2K was Re: La Machine Est Morte, Vive La Machine!

I'm with Kari: do you really need to do Suspend? I almost never
use it.

-----Original Message-----
From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx
[mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Troop
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:45 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Finding W2K was Re: La Machine Est Morte, Vive La
Machine!

Kari, many thanks for this. I will definitely set up a snapshot
schedule for VMware. I assume something similar exists for the
other VMs?

As to avoiding crashes, I don't know how to do it! 95% of the
crashes I experience in Win 7 or Win 8 are upon wakeup from
suspend. I have simply always assumed that suspend is one of those
things that Microsoft will never be able to do well even though
Apple has always managed it well. Baffling!

At 23/07/2014 07:44, you wrote:
>Bill,
>
>You can configure networking from Machine, Settings, Network. The

>default is NAT, which is protected from surreptitious attacks
from the
>outside, but you have Net access if you need it (for updating
programs
>in situ, etc.). If you do not do anything foolish, this works ok
and
>presents no great risk. For other options, see e.g.
>http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Network_Configuration_in_Virt
ualBox
>and
>https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html
>
>Further down the line, you can adjust network settings through
the W2K
>control panel, setting trusted domains, etc. Just as in your main
machine.

> >This is my one problem with VMware, and I think VBox behaves
the
> same. It very occasionally happens that my primary system (Win
8)
> crashes. When it does, the VM session is completely lost. I have
> boot W2K fresh (admittedly this only takes a few seconds) and
start
> Xy4 again, having lost any unsaved data. Surely there must be a
> technique of some kind for dealing with this - - setting up safe

> points every 15 minutes or so, perhaps? I would be very grateful
for any input.

>You should fix your setup. It should never crash. VMware has a
service
>called snapshot for preserving current VMs. You can make this
work by
>installing the command line tools, and running:
>vmrun snapshot path/.vmx from a cmd file (or by scheduling
through Windows).
https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_learning_cli_vmrun.html

>Best regards,
>
>Kari Eveli
>LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
>lexitec@xxxxxxxx
>
>*** Lexitec Online ***
>Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html
>Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/
>

>22.7.2014 21:20, Bill Troop wrote:
>>I am not sure - - but doubtless Kari knows - - how to enable or
>>disable Internet access in W2K/VM-of-choice. I only found that
when I
>>installed W2K from the ISO I have mentioned, Internet Access was

>>turned off. If I recall, Harry, it was you who informed me of
the test
>>I needed to make to ensure that I did not have Internet access.
What I