Re: XP--screen length--startup.int

** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Sun, 07
Dec 2003 18:17:43 -0500

>> You're talking about a DOS box on the Desktop, or full screen DOS?

> Hmmm. Looks as though I'm still confounded by the terminology.

Open a DOS Prompt: Start ==> Programs (or "All Programs" in some XP boxes) ==>
Accessories ==> Command Prompt. Now hit Alt-Enter, repeatedly. You'll find
yourself toggling back and forth between a Desktop box (a window) -- you can
still see some at least of the Desktop (with all the icons) behind it, you can
see the System Tray at the bottom, the Start button, etc; and on the other hand
a *completely black screen* with just a DOS Prompt (like in the "old days"
before Windows). The first is a Desktop DOS box; the second is "Full Screen".

I think you're talking about a Desktop box.

> I want to be able to achieve this automatically each time I start a
> Xy session. I don't want to have to keep going through the menus.

OK, do NOT use start/run to open Xy. Instead, create (or use, if you have one
already) a shortcut on the desktop (right click on an open area of the Desktop,
pick New ==> Shortcut, and fill in the blanks (path to Editor, title of the
Shortcut, e.g. "XyWrite"). Start XyWrite using this icon (shortcut). Right
click on the upper left corner of the window, where the little icon is. Click
on Layout (I don't have an XP machine near me now, so my terminology may not be
exactly right -- poke around). You should see, on one of these Properties
tabs, some options for Screen Buffer Size and Window Size (ignore Window
Position). Set Width=80 and Height=50 in _both_ the Buffer and Window Sizes.
Click OK, and then click on "Save properties for future windows with same
title". Click OK until Properties closes. Then QUIT XyWrite and restart it
using the Shortcut. You should have what you want.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx