Re: On button, & straight to the Command Line

Wolfgang Bechstein wrote:

> Leslie Bialler  wrote:
>
> > > Wouldn't that mean running Windows from inside Windows?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> No. Few people are aware of this fact, but plain, non-NT Windows up
> to version 98 (and probably Me) actually loads DOS (yes, that DOS)
> *before* it loads its (vastly more bulky) GUI overhead.

I know this.

> However, note that I am
> NOT advocating this kind of setup. I just described it because
> someone asked whether it could be done

Noted.

> I normally run XyWrite in a DOS session under Windows, which works
> just fine.

I'm sure you do. I'm sure it does. For you.

> > The best way to run _any_ DOS version of XyWrite under Win 9x, NT, or (I
> > would suppose) ME is to go to My Computer, right click on the editor icon,
> > click on create shortcut, drag the icon to the desktop, and click on it: you
> > are in business.
>
> There are a myriad other ways to create a shortcut for XyWrite (why
> should the "Editor" icon be under My Computer?), and as long as you
> have the Properties set up right, they all work.

Well of course the icon isn't directly under "my computer." It would be perhaps in
the XyWrite folder or My Programs/XyWrite. How would I know where everybody keeps
their editor.exe? I simply posted the simplest way to create an icon that I know
of.

> > Trying any other approach (such as, but not limited to,
> > opening the program in a DOS Window or running the program in DOS only mode)
> > will create conditions that, as Alice observed when regarding bottles marked
> > poison, are likely to disagree with you sooner or later.
>
> Poppycock.

That is _not_ charming. And it is incorrect. I speak from experience, after having
dealt with more than one hapless freelance editor working, no doubt, from a copy of
XyWrite Early she took with her when she was laid off by the Plattsburgh Daily
Blatt in 1992, who tried to print from Windows after having set up her XyWrite to
run in exclusive DOS mode thanks to the suggestion of her Uncle Max and/or her best
friend Kathi. Oh, and of course her printer driver is still set up for the machine
that ground out her copy back at the dear old Blatt--if she even remembered to
pirate that in the first place.

"Donatelli was working behind the plate with a knuckleball pitcher on the mound. He
called the pitch a ball, the catcher told him he'd blown the call. He said, 'The
pitcher doesn't know where it's going when he throws it; the batter can't hit it;
you can't catch it. And you expect _me_ to call it?' "

--Former baseball umpire Augie Donatelli. Anecdote told by former catcher Joe
Garagiola.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
New Address:
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)