Re: Off topic: System Commander {was: Win2K stability}

Steve Crutchfield wrote:

> A word of caution about System Commander and OS/2.... If you're using the latest versions of OS/2 and/or eComStation (the ones that use LVM), System Commander is totally incompatible. If you install SC, you CANNOT boot to eComStation because the MBR is now incompatible with LVM.
>
> Steve Crutchfield

Thanks for your reply, Steve. Unfortunately, it is ver. 7 (current) that I purchased, but I'm glad
you told me because I haven't installed it yet. (Can't return it, though, as I opened the
shrinkwrap to leaf through the manual.) How sure are you about this info ? First-hand
experience ? Is it possible that the results may vary, due to anything that you (they) happen to be
doing or not doing ?

Several weeks ago, I went through many threads on this subject in the newsgroup archives, with
messages dating from 1999 into early this year. At least half of it concerned ECS or MCP'd Warp,
which has featured LVM for quite awhile. I don't recall any mention of this
incompatibility. However, I think most of the people posting were using an earlier version, SC 2000
or 2000 Deluxe. The thrust of the comments indicated that SC was not LVM-aware, but did not seem to
mess with it. I wonder what could have changed in SC to toss that out the window
?

A number of people, including myself, have repeatedly attempted to draw out V-Comm. on the subject
of LVM. They don't make it easy to contact them, and when we managed to, they pretty much blew us
off. So, all I have to go on here is anecdotal reports.

Jordan