Re:memory use

** Reply to message from "J. R. Fox"  on Fri, 05 Apr 2002
12:42:09 -0800

> Uh, no, it *never* worked for me, no matter what I tried, and I did
> troubleshooting up, down, and sideways.

In my book, troubleshooting is debugging. You didn't do any.

> Mostly, the results were the same: _long_ periods of some *apparent* processing,
> but nothing actually happening. (And yes, I had gone over the written
> instructions meticulously, over and over again.)

That's not debugging. I want to know where the code is failing. Otherwise
what can I possibly do for you?

> I've also gone over this a bit with Carl, in your absence, but nothing has
> worked.

Not fair. He's busy. Why saddle him with your CLIP problems?

> Way back when, you told me to zip up my Startup.Int, Settings.Dfl, and I don't
> recall what else, which I emailed to you. But then you went away for an extended
> period, or something.

Jordan, I just checked Emails from you, both public and private, since January
2001, and there is only one which contains attachments -- pertinent to some
other issue (Speedo fonts that weren't recognized by your system). Yes, there
are emails about CLIP, but no files. And no diagnostic info whatsoever. No
check whether Hawkinson's routines work standalone (obviously, that's the first
step -- if his routines aren't spitting out the data, what can CLIP do?). No
indication that "the code is breaking down at THIS point". With no info to go
on, there's just an abyss in front of me: it could be *anything* at all, and
the only guarantee is that it will be hours of work and incessant writing back
& forth, trying to guess what might be wrong -- maybe with a result, maybe not.
Zillions of questions: level of Rexx installed, is XyShell installed, output
of O2.INI, etc etc etc. There are limits to free support, to my time, and to
interest.

If you can pinpoint the problem in the code, I can probably help. But not in
the next 3 weeks. I have paying clients down under whom I need to visit.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx