virus protection for the elderly

Trying to get anti-virus immunization for my 1995 Canon Notejet III (486)
laptop installed with plain vanilla Windows 95 -- spanking new-in-the-box
when I bought it from a liquidator two summers ago -- I've discovered
Norton's current offerings support nothing earlier than Win95B and
PentiumIII. Tough, they say.

I'm asking McAfee if they have anything for the aged and infirm (age 6!),
but have little hope, given the contemporary industry commitment to
planned obsolescence as a profitable marketing strategy.

You folks have any advice on lifeboats friendlier to older and weaker
systems? I guess I could upgrade to Win98, though not eager to tamper with
a comfortable working situation or invite fresh but unfamiliar problems.
Also rather jealous of memory. Everyone today seems to presume anyone with
less than gigabytes and hi-end MHZ isn't worth thinking about. Backward
compatibility seems very low priority, rarely more than a few generations
counted in months instead of years.

Or should I resign myself to just being careful and hope for the best?

=====
Prof.R.E.Stannard Jr., director, April-Sept 2001  ph: 0180880-880
The Cambodia Journalism Workshop at Royal University of Phnom Penh
em:  restannardjr@xxxxxxxx  or  stannard@xxxxxxxx
mail: Japan Relief For Cambodia, P.O.Box 27, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
USA: 712 Highland Dr, Bellingham, WA98225-6412. ph: (360) 392-0712