Re: Win2K ISO has no product key

There were two of these W2K ISOs that Bill identified on the list some months ago.  One was from a public repository; not sure about the origin of the other, but Bill made it available to me via ftp at that time, although I also took the opportunity to pick up the other one as well.  The one from WinWorld library ("VMWare ready", I think ?) is a tad over 334 Mb. in size, the one I got from Bill was 594 Mb. and change.  I have no idea what would account for the 260 Mb. size disparity.

   Jordan

From: Paul Lagasse
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2014 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: Win2K ISO has no product key

Bill, I pointed Harry to a Win2000 folder I put on Dropbox that seemed to be the one you recommended, entitled "Windows-2000-SP4-Final-2011-Edition_(all-updates)" -- I grabbed this file months ago on your suggestion, I believe, and I also picked up another ISO seemed legit online and that I have used.

I just ran the setup for Windows-2000-SP4-Final-2011-Edition_(all-updates) (the ISO is W2K-2011.iso) on my machine, in Virtualbox, and all appears fine, using a host-only network adapter and a PS/2 mouse. (Those were the only default settings I altered besides choosing to use a disk of fixed size.) There is an opportunity to register after setup is complete, but you can click thru that and never see it again so far as I can tell. I did encounter a slow reboot the first time, but after that things run fast and smooth. Didn't bother completing the setup beyond that -- I merely wanted to verify that things did work. Initial setup less than 20 mins. So things look fine at my end, anyway.

The other ISO, which I also have used successfully without issues and used XyWrite on, does ask for a product key (which for installation ease I added to the ISO's name). I don't think there should be any problems with that ISO, if Harry grabbed that one instead.

Paul Lagasse