Re: Whatsamatter with XyWin?

K-Mac:
I was one of the developers of XyWrite 4 and XyWin. I use Xy4 every day;
XyWin is not on my machine any more.

Advantage of XyWin: You can use TrueType fonts, and you can use XyWin for
faxing.
Disadvantages of XyWin:
1. Many unexpected and unexplained General Protection Faults. It could be
that, if you're using XyWin for straight text generation, you won't run afoul
of this "feature".
2. Unannounced hang-ups that require machine reset. These happen mostly when
trying to edit files larger than about 4.2 meg. And the DOS version does
this too, but it usually anounces that your disk is full writing to overflow
file (even when the disk is fine). In DOS you can often recover without
rebooting.
3. Unreadable draft screen font. This never bothered me, but others have
found it objectionable. There are work-arounds that have been posted to this
list.
4. Slow and somewhat quirky XPL performance. If you don't write complicated
macros, this is not a serious issue. It was with me.
5. Generally logy performance compared to Xy4DOS.

The main disadvantages of Xy4DOS are that it's limited to on-board printer
fonts and Bitstream Speedo fonts (expensive, but I've managed to acquire
quite a few); and that the wysiwyg screen fonts are, on my machine, dotty and
hard to read. But it runs snappily under Win 3.1 or Win95 in a DOS box,
either as a full-screen application or in a window.

I'm sure others in this list will have things to say pro and con regarding
XyWin.

Tim Baehr
tbaehr@xxxxxxxx