Re: IBM Releases 27 Dictionaries/Thesaurii for Xy4-DOS and XyWin

At 22-09-99 -0500, you wrote:

>It's true. On 20 September, in a blistering rebuke of TTG's total failure
>to support or sustain a product line that IBM largely designed and
>financed, Big Blue released as freeware a barrage of spelling
>dictionaries, twenty-seven in all, each with an extensive thesaurus, for
>XyWrite 4 and XyWrite for Windows.

Hmnn... I am not sure that it is such a blistering rebuke, it seems to have
something to do with Netscape Navigator. I note that they are for "OS/2
WARP" Whatever that is. I am confused about these operating systems,
because somewhere I got the impression that one Windows version was OS2, or
have I grossly misled myself? I installed said dictionaries as IBM
suggested for Netscape and utterly failed to get it right.

But I ass-u-me that whether or not they work with Netscape they will work
with XyWrite whatever the operating system? (I use XyWin under Windows 95
and 98).

But major thanks to Mr Holgren: I had not realised the thesaurus was part
of the dictionary (we had .syn files once I vaguely remember) so now I have
got a French thesaurus, and even Roget on my disk!

And - hoping this is not too big a can of worms, what are the respective
advantages between the Microlytics and IBM dictionaries?

PW