Re: questions, answers

≪some of us don't use XY4 or only use it exceptionally for specific
tasks (I'm in that category)≫

Thanks Carlo. Xy3 does everything I need it to. It never once crashed or
corrupted a file. For printing and styling, I import to PageMaker, which
has a very good Xy3+ import filter. For cutting and pasting to/from
Windows, windowed-mode is adequate for my purposes. The one feature of
later versions (with U2) that might have tempted me was long file names,
but I lived with 8.3 for so long, I can carry on with it.

Believe it or not, I have sometimes found Xy3 useful in network
troubleshooting. You'd be surprised what odd files a networker sometimes
stumbles across, floating around in the corporate ether, or attached to
emails, with unknown (or missing) extensions. Such files cause mischief
to servers, trigger alarms on firewalls, and flummox operating systems
which don't know which app to start in order to read them. Xy3 is often
the only program which can open unknown files, or files with no
extensions, and show me some content.