Re: Xy III & faulty memory?

≪ Of course nested conditionals are a giant step
forward--no help, however, to v3 programmers and
difficult to follow even in xyW4 code ≫

≪ Huh? Why "no help"? Extremely useful, I would say. ≫

Sure are--to xyW4 xpl programmers. xyW3 doesn't
allow them.

≪ What do you mean, "do/while"? ≫

C while loops test at the top so if the conditional
value isn't met content is never performed, which usually
is desirable, but not always. Enter the do/while loop:
the test of the condition is at the end so, no matter
what, loop content is performed at least once.

≪ Do you remember where MEMWALK came from? ≫

≪ Nope. [...I]t might be on my daughter's old (1990)
486--I'll look tomorrow. ≫

Thanks--I'd really appreciate it. It sounds super-useful
(at least to someone with one foot still planted in
late-'80s computing).

≪ A compiled or tokenized program would simply make
the jump, near or far, to a pre-compiled location in
memory. XPL does not do that. This is the behavior
of an interpreted language. ≫

≪ Compiled with BASIC? ≫

≪ No, compiled into machine code! I'm not talking about
BASIC or labels; after code is compiled, all jumps are
to relative or absolute memory locations--so many bytes
forward, so many back. No more labels. ≫

Well, OK, despite the "with" and "into" dissonance
(and I thought labels were exactly what we were talking
about), I do see what you're getting at. xpl, after all,
is just a word processor's script language (and isn't
in fact interpreted). You shoulda seen my *first* word
processor's user programming language. Running pgms
could--and did--destroy hard drives. ... Ciao. 	--a

http://www.escape.com/%7Eyesss/_xypro.html ===========================