Re: Beginner's question + Euroscript.

You can easily write a printer driver to convert XyWrite character modes
(italic, bold, etc.) to LaTeX code, but much more than that requires a
good deal of effort.

Of course, LaTeX files are plain text, so you can use XyWrite to edit
them without doing any conversion. However, I strongly recommend
against doing so. There are now many good editors for LaTeX, and one
that's excellent---BaKoMa. Here's a review:

http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne/latex/BAKOMA.HTM

When I started using LaTeX in the mid-1980s, things were different, and
I spent a lot of time fiddling with XyWrite to make it work well with
LaTeX. I still use that system (to which Manuel generously contributed
an important component) all the time. However, for a newbie, BaKoMa is
the way to go. (Or Lyx, if you want a free system.)

Martin