Re: Civics (was Re: RE XP or 2000)

 I have a tendency to think that we have substituted training for
 education, and there is a difference, ...a rather major one. Edu-
 cation is about the transformation of self, whereas training is
 about the acquisition of a skill that can either be sold, or the
 products of which can be sold. Training does not require much or
 any transformation of self, and so one can graduate from a univer-
 sity and be the same person one was when one went in. This was
 not possible in times past. It is today, unfortunately. So a
 whole lot of things have changes, ...and not only civics courses,
 which are no longer necessary if people are well trained.

 M.W. Poirier
----