Spellchecking

 From Mike Gawdun
 >Maybe I am wanting to be pampered by XW and shouldn't be asking for
 >such features that are available in other Windows word processors
 >but when I am in spell check mode and I am being prompted to add a
 >word to my personal dictionary, it would be easier if I only had to
 >click on the Add button only and not have to click on two
 >additional buttons after I choose to add a word. The additional
 >prompts are completely unnecessary.

 From Leslie Bialer:
 >Just make it go away. Geez, the danged thing will stop on MacArthur
 and
 >McKinley every bleeping time. There is no way to fix it, apparently.

   If you'd use the keyboard rather than that accursed rodent you
 could simply reconfigure your .kbd file to include the requisite
 succeeding keystrokes (Q1-Q8) and thereby get exactly what you want. I
 haven't tried it, but you should.

 From Leslie:
 >And while we're on the subject. Can't that "double word encountered"  feature be
 >configured so that if a punctuation mark appears between the words  the
 >double word message doesn't kick in?

   You said it! I don't see a workaround for that. Remember also the
 spell-checker is from Microlytics, not Xyquest or TTG. Of course I'd
 bet a competent assembly language programmer could fix it in 1/2 hour,
 but perish the thought.

   Someone here, I think Carl Distefano, mentioned that the best way
 to spellcheck is to use the command
 spell file1,file2
 where "file1" is the file to be checked and "file2" is the name of the
 file Xy will create that contains just the questionable words. Then
 you can write a little XPL code to process the errors much more
 easily. I think Carl even has posted something like that. Can you
 refresh us, Carl?

 Harry Binswanger