Re: Numberlock on?

** Reply to message from Paul Breeze  on Thu, 17
Oct 2002 00:18:02 +0100

> I'm trying to like this OS but it seems to
> get worse at every turn.

Does your BIOS have a switch for defining the Numlock state on bootup? If so,
turn Numlock off. Then, when W2K reinitializes the keyboard and hands it over
to XyWrite (which wants to "own" it), the "N" won't go on. Or put one, maybe
two, iterations of NUMLKOFF.COM (at XyWWWeb) in STARTUP.INT. ("Extremely
annoying"? Isn't it utterly benign? Doesn't the "N" disappear almost
immediately? I think you're just bumping into powerful features you haven't
encountered before. I like having total keyboard initialization, or control
over screen expansion, or access to a giant screen buffer so you can scroll
back through, say, PSTAT's output without having to use a |MORE pipe, or etc
etc ...)

Like OS/2, W2K is designed for system administrators, not home users; if you
want a real manual (written by M$) which explains all this stuff, you need the
Resource Kit: in 1,767 pages it explains how this OpSys works. It's steeply
discounted these days, around USD 40.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx