Re: mac filing system

There are a dozen easy ways on the mac to make your life simpler.
Flash started you off on one; note that you can drag any oft-used
folder to the sidebar and have it as a permanent destination.
PathFinder is a nice better version of the Finder that adds some
conveniences to the Finder and you might like that. Note the "filter
by name" window for instance.
 Probably the niftiest add-on is LaunchBar. It does many things in
the simplest way. Relevant example: hit its trigger key
(default=command-space) then type the name of the folder you want.
Once you type enough letters (usually 2-3, you'll see it list at the
top of the screen, select it, hit return and boom, it's open in Finder
(or PathFinder). Same for opening applications, contacts, etc. ).
 But you need to spend a few minutes learning some very very basic
stuff. Once you do, those minutes will be returned to you with
interest.
 There are also lots of ways to make your note taking easier; there
are cheap simple programs that well and are designed for precisely
what you want to do. Notebook, Mark/Space notebook, Things (though it
does more than that), etc.

PNG image

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion