Re: Xy Manuals Online (Was undocumented define functions)

Charles in Tokyo writes:

>How about a "XyWrite Manuals Extravaganza Disk"? I'm sure Walnut Creek
>would be happy to produce and sell it. Heck, bump the price up a bit,
>and TTG could even include a copy of XyDOS (3 or 4, I don't care). . . .

Neat idea. Unfortunately all is not rosy in the CD-ROM racket, and it seems
that Walnut Creek is moving from such delightful eccentricities as a CP/M
disc in the direction of add-ons for yet more visceral games. Xy wouldn't
make much of a dent in the circa 650MB available, but throw in Borland's
*Sprint* as well and the resulting product could move could move.

Is there some actual or virtual museum somewhere for that ninety-plus
percent of word processors that have been killed off by their
copyright-holders? (*WordStar*, *Manuscript*. . . .) For all that
intellectual effort just to have been flushed away is saddening.

Or maybe a book? Once I hopefully looked at a book entitled *Electric
Language: A Philosophical Study of Word Processing*--awfully soporific
stuff, I thought. There's more to the subject.

Lee Hickling writes:

>I want [the manual(s)] on 3.5" diskettes. Not all our
>systems have a CD-ROM drive, nor are they about to get one.

Maybe pricing is anomalous here, but a slowish but servicable CD-ROM drive
can cost rather less than, say, an IDG "bible" for one of Xy's more
commercially successful rivals. (Smaller and lighter, too.)

Peter in Yedo  -- quotable sparingly if at all