Question on VA@ parsing

I have read Robert's 5/28/02 post on parsing a string by means of .
My problem is simple: I want to use this facility in a loop, so instead of the literal number--e.g.,1--I want to use a variable whose value is the loop's index number. But just plugging in the variable doesn't seem to work. I tried:

where 01 is the loop's index counter.
To test, I halt the program at the end of the first loop, then display what's in . What I see is the first 75 characters of the string in 44, when I should get only the first 11 characters. And using the literal "1" gives the desired result.

Is there any way to insert a variable rather than a literal number?

Thanks.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx