Problem Running XyDOS under Win XP

I've just upgraded to Windows XP, and am having a peculiar
problem running XyDOS 4.17. Since I'm a new member of this list, I've
just spent several hours searching through the list archives, where I
found many encouraging comments to the effect that XyDOS has run fine for
people under XP. But I found no mention of my particular problem, which
is that on the average of about five times a day, XyWrite stops
responding properly to the keyboard. In particular, the Enter and F9 keys
produce strange characters, so I'm unable to save my files before ending
the task with Ctrl-Alt-Del. It doesn't seem to be a keyboard problem per
se, because all the other running programs continue to respond fine to
the keyboard. Does anyone have any idea what my problem could be? Could
it possibly be a lack of memory? I have all the memory settings in the
Windows Property dialog box for XyWrite set to
"Auto."

I hope very much to avoid having to switch to Nota Bene, because with this one exception, XyWrite's been working perfectly. Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? Thanks very much, Alan