Ignoring Errors (XPL)

I have a program (XPL)that I use with information
I receive from forms on the Internet. The program
issues change commands to change percent sign
codes (e.g. %3c) into the proper ASCII
charfacter. If the change command does not find
anything to change I get an error box on the
screen indicating "CAN NOT FIND ...". I would
like to ignore this error condition.
 I tried to follow each of the change commands if
an "if er..." statement, but that seems to be
ignored. I asked this question before and one of
the subscribers answered asking for the program
code, but I have received no other help.
 Is it possible to ignore this type of error and,
if so how and where in the manual is this
explained. BTW, the "IF ER" statement works
properly with a sister command: the SE command,
but not with the CH command.
 I'll be glad to send the program if anyone wants
it, BUT CAN ANYONE HELP? FRANK????
Dick Giering