Re: Re Ink-stained wretch

Is there any searchable compendium of Dr. Johnson anyplace? It sounds
Regarding Dr. J. online I find the page of some dissertation student: http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Johnson/ which also contains links to some e-texts which, however, it seems, you would have to download and then search through individually (at least XyWrite would make that task as fast as possible); however, if these are already indexed on the web and you didn't find them from Google, then the phrase isn't there anyway -- the question is whether they are so indexed? I did a full-text OED search and only came up with these two quotations: 1959 Spectator 25 Sept. 408/2 All the kudos goes to the campaign-scarred, ink-stained veteran: none to the new bug in his sissy clean blazer. and 1857 Eadie J. Kitto xii. (1861) 418 An *inkstained recluse. [I don't know what the asterisk signifies.] Irene, I would send a note to Bill Safire (safire@xxxxxxxx); I think it's the sort of thing he would be interested in. Perhaps also the Lexicographer columnist at the Spectator (very entertaining!! under its present editor--with Taki's outrageous columns for example -- full text available at www.spectator.co.uk).