accented letters

Reading Patricia's way of dealing the accented letter problem
I'll let you know my solution from about 20/25 years ago, may be
it will suite some one.
I then just wrote a verry little program called accent.p, wich I
mapped to te Alt-F key (F for foreing)

Hitting the Alt-F keys the program it lets you enter
1. the letter
2. the type of accent
   a = aigu
   c = circonflex
      or
      cedille
   g = grave
   m = manana (tilde) (i used to call the tilde a manana
because the use of it in that word
      and so created no conflict with the t of trema
   t = trema

so just typing Alt-F aa wil give you an a with an aigu on the a
(even I don't know how to do that in this mail (text-version)

and cc give you the richt spelling of garcon (with bay the way is
no longer used here for the waiter they became "monsieurs")

since the program is verry smal a atteched it
if some one will need a translation : mail me

summer-hollyday-greetings from France
Carel