Re: file searching/vista help

J R FOX wrote:

the standard
Windows mantra is sure to come up: "Well, you could
always reinstall the OS and everything else from
scratch . . . . "  Yeah, I COULD . . . if I had
nothing better to do for the next month ! This is
laughable, infuriating, and an indictment of gravely
flawed design.

Précisement, as M. Poirot would say.
very important to have fully
slipstreamed, patched-to-current-levels Windows plus
their necessary apps, that can be readily deployed
from image or CD.
But getting such a CD is not exactly easy, esp. for Vista, for
which, last time I looked, BARTPE wasn't available. My laptop
came with a utility from Acer that does let me make a complete
backup to DVD (or CD, but it would take 6 of those, and my burner
burns DVDs) and then do a system restore from it. Did it once,
and it saved my bacon. Took a couple of hours, but not the weeks
that reinstalling Windows and all apps (and cleaning the garbage
out of the out-of-the-box Windows installation) would take. Wish
I could get something like that for the office, but AFAIK the
only commercial products are Norton Ghost (and I consider
Symantec a virus monger) and Acronis True Image, which I tried,
and liked at first, but then every time I tried to make a
subsequent backup, it would malfunction and I would be told I had
to upgrade.
fixes are probably important to have (unless your
computer is hermetically sealed, and you never
download anything or go out on the 'Net); if you
dismiss them en masse, I think this would be very much
at your peril.
Well, that's what BBB wants one to think. But I've NEVER added updates (I'll put them on if available when I'm setting up a system, but not once I've added apps), and so far have not (knock wood!) fallen prey to any major infestations. Of course, I don't have an always-on connection, use Firefox and Thunderbird, don't Google (because of the danger of being steered to sites that have been poisoned by cross-site scripting), and am very careful (to the point of paranoia) about what I do on-line. But we now have broadband at the office, and my coworkers are not, perhaps, as savvy as they might be. Though that cuts both ways: since they don't understand error messages, they tend to panic when they get one.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx