Problem disappeared

It gets worser and worser.
I tried a zillion things to get my keys (shifting and otherwise) to work right. Thinking it might be startup.int, I copied it to startup.sav and made a completely blank startup.int. That didn't fix anything, but when I copied startup.sav back to startup.int, suddenly everything is hunky dory.
In Win 7 I've been having intractable "Access is denied" problems and in XP
a lot of similar ones, so I wonder if it's either Parallels or a hard drive
(SSD) problem.