EdShop--Spammers in the Detroit News

Dear Detroit News:

I'm on an email mailing list, and we were recently disturbed to get hit
with a spam advertisement, because we thought that we had taken every
precaution to prevent it. This is a particularly pernicious invasion of our
privacy because it's going to a free, subscription-only email list, not a
usenet group.

I traced back the url in the spam and it led to a story in the Detroit News
about Global Dynamics International Inc., which is apparently the company
that sent the spam, or its affiliate. (If you go to the EdShop web page
there's a link at the bottom to Global Dynamics, and then to the Detroit
News.)

As you know, virtually everybody who uses the Internet (except the spammers
themselves) hates spam. It's usually hard to locate them, but here you have
one in your own back yard.

The New York Times recently did a story about spam, in which their reporter
Michelle Slatalla actually tracked a spammer down and interviewed him. So
it's a good story--if you can find the spammer. And I've just done that for
you.

Why don't you call Bhushan Kulkarni, the CEO, and ask him where he gets the
nerve to send unsolicted, unwanted spam to email lists? He clearly knows
what he's doing, because he concealed the headers to indicate his origin. I
know lots of people, including myself, who would tell you how pissed off we
are, for publication (although not all of our remarks would be printable).
And why don't you call his ISP and ask them why they allow this company to
send spam like that?

BTW, if you do anything with it, please send me an email about it, since I
don't read the Detroit News (not since I was working at the Society of
Automotive Engineers years ago, when as I recall you had pretty good
coverage of auto safety).

P.S. I see by my web search that the author of the article, Jenny King, is
an adjunct member of the journalism faculty at Wayne State, and actually
has a web site at
http://www.comm.wayne.edu/staff/wright/autohistory/pix00.html. So she
should understand what's going on. Maybe she'll want to look into this
herself.

Here's the spam: