Re: XP/Vbox/Win 8.1

I would only argue that W2K and lower no longer seem to me to be
workable everyday options given that they cannot deal with hi-dpi
screens whilst XP easily can. The enclosed screenshot shows W2K on
the left and XP on the right, on a 3200x1800 15-inch screen. Even
though the fonts in W2K are larger, the screen quality and
readability on XP are outstandingly superior.

Needless to say, these observations are only based on my limited
experience with the limited instances of W2K and XP I am using. For
example, the W2K I am using, as vanilla installed, will only go up to
800x600 for its virtual screen, whilst XP (along with VB) immediately
knows that it is on a hi-dpi screen and adjusts accordingly. Perhaps
if I knew more about Win2K I would be able to overcome this
limitation, but as far as I know, nothing will bring ClearType font
rendering to Win2K.

My instance of XP shows that I can use it at up to 2560x1024 pixels,
although I have manually adjusted it down to 1400x1050 pixels,
because I didn't want to (a) put work into adjusting interface
elements to work in higher res and (b) risk getting stuck with some
elements whose size could not be adjusted.

Further observations:

Like Mac OS X on the Macbook Retina, Win 8.1 does some extraordinary
things to get legacy programs working in hi-dpi. For example, XP
under VB works out very well, but I notice that Eudora, now an
ancient program, works at this super-high resolution just about as
well and visibly as it would at much lower dpi. Apparently it is
automatically being supersampled and scaled up, Mac-style. For those
interested in this fascinating topic, the one good article is at anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/6

Bafflingly, there are many modern programs that do not work in 8.1 at
nearly 300 dpi: for example, in both Quark and in Photoshop CS6 or
CC, the main tool elements are too small to be visible.