Re: XP & malware

On 5/19/2012 10:15 AM, Kari Eveli wrote:
Malware may or may not be written specifically for XP; it can be written
to exploit vulnerabilities of apps which run under, among other OSs, XP. The browser is often the target these days (Safari was recently targeted, btw). If MS stops issuing security patches for the browser which runs under XP, and/or makes some future IE-iteration no longer XP-compatible, you will be at risk. Flash, It might be time to ditch IE in favor of Firefox, which is not only a better product, but more importantly not dependent on the whims of MS. Third-party support for XP will be continuing for a long time. Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/
I have been using Firefox (and its ancillary, Thunderbird for email) for years. Both strike me as being much quicker and much easier to use that IE and Outlook. Are they really safer? That would be good, but I know nothing about that side of things. One word of advice: once you have it (or them) up and running, copy your settings and keep them separately, in case something goes wrong and you have to re-install them.