Re: Goodbye Xy?

** Reply to note from Dr J.L. Gordon
   07/08/96 03:11am +0000

-> ...But now that I know how to use Describe's frames and styles,
-> I actually find them easier. For instance, with indented text,
-> if you set up an "indent" style then whenever you want to indent
-> you only need click (of use keyboard) on the indent style in
-> the floating style pallet. To me, this is easier than the Xy
-> method: insert IP 5,5, type text, insert IP 0,0 type text,
-> insert IP 5,5 type text, etc. The great feature of a Describe
-> style is that, if you later decide to change the amount of left
-> or right indent of the indented chunks, all you need to do is
-> make one change on the style pallet and then all chunks will be
-> automatically changed. To my knowledge, Xy requires you to make
-> each change separately.

Not true. The same can be done with XyWrite styles. You save the
desired settings with an SS (Save Style) command, then invoke the
style wherever desired with the US (Use Style) command (see sample
style below, constructed instanteously with EG from SmartSet).
Any change made to the SS statement takes immediate effect
throughout the document.

{SSSAMPLE,NP,OR=0,SZ=12PT,12PT,UF=STANDARD,SY=23Z,10,0,0,MD=NM,
FD=66LI,PW=85DI,OF=2DI,2DI,LM=2DI,RM=75DI,TP=7LI,7LI,
BT=2LI,3LI,2LI,7LI,RT=0,TS=0DI,IP=0DI,0DI,0DI,FL,NJ,HY=1,WD=2,
OP=2,ET=0LI,0LI,EE=0LI,0LI,AL=0,LS=1LI,LL=0LI,0LI,EL=0,SN=0DI}
{USSAMPLE}

              * * *

On an unrelated note, would all contributors please observe the
65-character line length suggested in the Welcome document? For
many of us, it avoids the bother of constantly scrolling right and
left to read messages.

Carl Distefano * * *  CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx