Re: AutoReplace Need HELP

David,

Many thanks. Tried both methods below successfully. I have to
admit though that it may still be easier just to use Xy3+ for
this step in the production process.

Much appreciated.

Cheers,
John G

On Thu, 11 May 1995 07:52:08 EST, David Auerbach
 wrote:

>** Reply to note from John Gordon
05/11/95 1:39pm  >+0800 > ≫ In Xy3+ we could  ≫ take the
author's article on disk, convert to XyW, then run the speller on
  ≫ it and XyW would change the "misspelled" words
automatically, and almost  ≫ instantly. With Xy4 and XyWin it
seems only possible to change the words  ≫ *as you type*,
making the speller useless for doing the sort of corrections
≫ we require on an already complete manuscript. > >Well,
autoreplace is the wrong concept here; that is for "as you type".
 What  >you need is a file to serve as the "spell.tmp" for a
running of the CORRECT  >command. Depending on your situation,
there are two ways to do it: >1. Construct a file, call it
autoaus.spl that looks like: >labor labour >recognize recognise
 >... > >etc. > >I infer you already have this file. For
each manuscript file, let's say the  >name is manu1.txt, put at
the top of autoaus.spl the line:
>≪MDRV≫d:\manu\manu1.txt≪MDNM≫     [or whatever the path
etc. is] >Then go to the command line and type: correct
autoaus.spl >That's it. Obviously you can automate this a bit
in XPL by keeping grabbing  >the file name, and creating a file
with that name in reverse mode and  >appending your autoaus.spl
file. > >2. If you do normal spell checking as well, you can do
a variant of the  >above. Do: spell manu1.txt (without the
file on the screen). >This generates a file named spell.tmp that
contains all the alleged  >misspellings. Erase from it proper
names that are really OK. Append your  >autoaus.spl list.
Note that this spell.tmp already has its target filename  >at
the top. Run correct. > >

Regards, >
      David >
>David Auerbach
    >auerbach@xxxxxxxx >Department of Philosophy &
Religion >NCSU     Box 8103 >Raleigh, NC 27695-8103

J.L. Gordon
Dept of Anthropology
University of Western Australia
Nedlands, W.A. 6009, AUSTRALIA