Re: hard numbers for fn

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Tue, 24 Feb 1998 00:18:28 +0000

> ... and you may want to eliminate page dividers (by setting
> default PX=32 before you TYS).

Hah! That's a good one, Carl. PX=32. Where there's a will, there's a way.
I never could figure how to get rid of those frigging TYS dividers, except after
the fact, under XPL! Best I could do was a 273-line "page", which reduced
their frequency but didn't eliminate them. What about the vertical space
taken by the line plus TP|BT|OR|WD -- can you get rid of that too? (But PX=32
is already a nice condiment -- just trying to curry a little favor here. Bad
pun. BTW, speaking of Dorothy, for an instant, when she accused me of
churlishness, I thought there might be a case of mistaken identity (since
carl=churl etymologically -- and with a very nice meaning too! When
I was small, my maternal grandmother, who was West Highland Scots
from up in Oban, spoke of herself as carline, meaning an old dame. The reason I
know this is that "carl" comes from Indo-European "gren", to ripen or grow old,
as
in "corn" (also derived from gren), with a tinge of faithfulness -- think of
Brunnhilde's ageless steed (Grane). And, it shows that you and I are related,
since my name means "venerable oak", from the holm or English oak, Quercus subur.
Except that I often wonder about this because holm also means, from a very
early date, holly -- and the distinctive feature of holly is that it is
ever-green, thus "holm gren". Anyway... Hi Dorothy!)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx