Re: XYWRITE digest 2483

** Reply to message from Si Wright  on Wed, 18 Jan 2006
22:19:40 -0800 (PST)

> But that has not been a problem before. The latest CTRL-C bit has always been
> there for the CLIPping. I reiterate that it's not that CLIP isn't working, but
> that it's only half working. Above the first 50 words (or so) of a file, it
> MErges just fine. Below that, it freezes and XY has to be shut down.
>
> "evidence that your setup is fubar."
>
> I wouldn't say my setup is fubar, an acronym that concludes: Beyond All Repair.
> Perhaps you mean snafu'd? Anyway, a ZIPfile will be wending its way to you
> privately. And jocularity aside, I greatly appreciate the help and the fact
> that CLIP exists at all.

I trust you understand that I *am* making merry, not being sarcastic or
critical. Yes, well, snafu'd then. But your INT certainly *was* totally fu,
albeit not bar -- witness the easy fix.

Let me ask, what View mode do you generally use? Draft? Graphics (heaven help
you)? Page-Line? Any difference if you're using Expanded mode? Try Pasting
into Expanded mode.

"Above the first 50 words..." That's a new one on me. When you say Xy freezes
and must be shut down -- are you absolutely sure that it is frozen? Possibly,
for some reason, the ClipW* program has gone into a loop, i.e. seems frozen but
really isn't. What happens when you hit the BreaK key -- the key with func BK
loaded on it? (Command FINDKEY BK to locate the key(s) that have func
BK on it/them.) Func BK should break you out of a program, and restore
functionality. Hit it a few times, it may not respond until the tenth or so
time. Hit Escape a few times for good measure.

Can you also tell me exactly what your keystroke assignment is (in KBD file) on
your Paste key? Mine is
 nn=NIJM2,.,c,l,i,p,w,p,Q2
Use that!

You're not using some wierd Clipboard utility, are you? You might try this:
drop to DOS (DOS/NV), make sure some text is in the Clipboard first, DEL
CLIP.TXT, CLIP 437 1252, then EXIT back to XyWrite, and try to manually MErge
CLIP.TXT into a file waaaay down in the file (past 50 words). Just in case
there's something inherently wrong with the way CLIP.TXT is constructed... or
with your MErge command (once upon a time, EDITOR.EXE occasionally got
corrupted and had to be replaced -- hasn't happened to me in a loooong time,
but... who knows.) Very strange problem that you have here. I assume that
when you inspected CLIP.TXT yesterday at the DS level, that it did indeed
contain the text that was on your Clipboard, faithfully rendered? So it's not
CLIP.EXE itself that's causing your problem...? More than likely it's
something in the ClipW* frame that isn't working on your system... but what?

Re Ghostscript: In REG, kill those top lines in your file -- the lines with
the red words. The first line with the GsPrnDev spec has GOT to go (delete the
whole thing), that's profoundly fu. You have a correct spec waaay down in the
[Ghostscript] stanza, where it belongs. The problem is, that this erroneous
line is being read when the "GsPrnDev=" spec is queried -- instead of the good
spec down below. Then SAve the REG file. You should be all set with printing
after you fix this. Let me know...

Otherwise, your INT/DFL/REG files look OK (scanning casually).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx