Re: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

Phil,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Opening up Xy to the public, basically as an open source app, runs a very big risk: feature creep, leading to code bloat. I have seen this in several other cases (noteably Wireshark and MS-Word). One of things that is most attractive about Xy is that it stayed simple, remained tightly coded, and did not creep into bloated features.

The current professional layout platform appears to be LaTex. If we are going to go diddling around with Xy source codes (assuming the legal issue is ever resolved), it would make sense to keep our eye on what Xy was originally designed to do, which is to integrate Xy with the professional publishing world, i.e., which currently means to make Xy LaTex-conform.

Sent from Flash's iPad