IS XW A DO

JE-> On Wed, 17 Apr 96 19:44:45 -0500, you wrote:

JE-> >The wildcard replaces of version 4 are nice, but I had already
 -> >added them to version 3.5 many years ago.

 -> James Eibisch  ('v')   N : E : T : A : D : E : L : I : C : A
JE-> Could you tell me how you did this?

It's simple enough once the procedure is clear. Just write any
search program that accepts user's input, but accept the input
in three parts, say,

abc

Search for the abc as a whole, and then you're at the end of
the expression. If it's an "inside wild" the XPL goes back
and changes the a and c components; if an "outside wild"
just change the b component (separate programs in my case).

Admittedly, it's a lot of jumping back & forth, but in 3.55,
it's almost as fast a change as the ci in 4.

--Chet

---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ chet@xxxxxxxx     http://www.asb.com/usr/chet/