Re: Threading (Message-ID:

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> Even had I not sworn war to the knife with
> MuckySoft (despite having to use its crummy OpSys, because dealing with
> its bugs leaves me no time to learn Linux), every cracker, script kiddie,
> and mauvais sujet in computerdom targets that piece of Swiss cheese (with
> apologies to Gruyère).

Amen to that.

> I have both Opera and Mozilla and would like to try either or both as
> browsers, so again, I don't want an ISP that's going to insist on
> Internet Exploiter. What about EarthLink?

> Anyone here use that? What
> software do they want you to use? Allow? Thanks for any and all help

It is one of my 3 ISPs (a somewhat paranoid redundancy, which has actually
been useful on occasion),
and probably one of the two I would keep. It is national, even
quasi-international, as in *many* far-flung
local nodes you can use while on the road. Their tech support had the
reputation of being better than
most -- though just about *all* T.S. everywhere has been seriously slipping
in recent years -- and less
doctrinaire about quoted requirements, which is often just a convenient dodge
for things they don't want
to hear about, let alone support, and for personnel who often know less about
certain subjects than those
users calling in. I've used them for years in dial-up & broadband, under
OS/2 (with no squawks or blow-
offs re the latter), with Netscape for different platforms, Opera, and
Mozilla.

They do charge about $22./mo. for dial-up service, more of course for
broadband. The biggest problem
I run into is when away from home, and it has nothing per se to do with
them. There is always the nuisance
of mail being rejected automatically when crossing mail servers (that is,
when sent from other than the usual
point of origin), because it is assumed to be spam. You can *receive*
anywhere, by a variety of means; it's
sending that's the rub. I have to drop down to a dial-up access to do that,
where there are still some gotchas.
If you are reading this now on the list, I must have finessed this one for
now.

Jordan