Re: NB Win availability

"William H. TeBrake" wrote:

> The import filters only work on files created by Word with Fast Save
> turned off (under Tools, Options, Save). Actually, there are all kinds
> of problems that you can encounter when Fast Save is in effect,
> according to colleagues who continue to use that infernal product.

Bill,

Thanks for the tip. I just checked and:

Our version of Word 97 is configured with fast save turned off. I believe
that is the default setting, at least on the PC side of the computer
world.

Actually I'm suprised that fast save is even an option any more. I had
forgotten all about it. We used to encounter conversion snags caused by
that hideous feature, mostly from the Mac side, and that was in the early
and mid 1990s. I would assume that with present-day faster computers, it
would no longer be needed.

Oh, and here's a cute little Word trick I have learned and don't mind
sharing. When we give files to freelancers who use Word rather than
XyWrite, I simply save the files as RTF files and then rename the extension
to DOC. The dear hearts click on the files and cazart! Word opens them
immediately and they know not what we have done. Far easier to do that than
trying to find out exactly what version of Word they're actually using.

Me: "What kind of computer do you have?"

They: "Duh, a beige one?"

Me: What's the brand name?

They: Well, hmm, there's something here that says Gateway? Could that be
it? It's my boyfriend's really.

Me: (realizing there's no point in asking their drive capacity, MHZ speed
or memory) What version of Word do you have?

They: Oh, whatever the computer people put on when they shipped it? Why do
I need to know this?

Me: Oh never mind, just checking. We'll send you the files in the Word.

Salud!

lb136@xxxxxxxx
212-666-1000 x7109 (phone) 212-316-3100 (fax)