RE: Next step with w2k iso

Yes, but it is not actually necessary to remove the file from the
active drive. You just have to instruct the VM not to look for that
file anymore.

At 25/07/2014 15:00, you wrote:
So I'm getting the idea that the software for the virtual machine (I'll be using Parallels Workstation, which is Parallels for Windows) takes care of this, so you just direct it to the ISO file as the OS to install. Then, when all is done, I take the ISO off the active drive and archive it on an external drive. -----Original Message----- From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx [mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Troop Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 9:54 AM To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: RE: Next step with w2k iso At 25/07/2014 14:35, you wrote: >Thanks, Paul, but I don't understand: you say no CD but at the end you >say remove ISO from "the drive." If that's not the CD/DVD drive, then >do you mean delete the file from the hard drive, or what? "Removing the drive" could mean just removing the filename from the dropdown box, or it could mean clicking on the alternate button, 'Use physical drive'. As I said earlier, I have never bothered to do this, but removal does seem like the most rational thing to do. >-----Original Message----- >From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx >[mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Lagasse >Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:27 AM >To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx >Subject: Re: Next step with w2k iso > >No CD nec. ISO is faster. This is what I see in Vbox in Linux, but >can't imagine it's hugely different in Win. > >1. I created a new machine, accepted recommended memory, created >virtual HD (I created a VDMK - VMware - HD in Vbox to at least >?potentially? >enhance portability), and set a fixed size of 4 GB -- fixed to >enhance speed. > >2. Once created, in Settings dialog for the highlighted machine, >navigate to Storage (left pane), select empty CD controller >(Storage tree, mid-pane), under CD drive (right pane, CD icon) >choose "Choose a virtual...," and navigate to and select your ISO >-- then launch and install after checking other settings to be >sure that they make sense -- boot order under System settings >should be correct. > >Be sure to remove the ISO from the drive after installation. > >Paul Lagasse >On 07/25/2014 02:00 AM, Harry Binswanger wrote: > > Well, you actually answered my question: the next step, I take >it, is > > to burn a CD from the ISO. Is that right? > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx > > [mailto:xywrite-bounce@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Troop > > Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:06 PM > > To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx > > Subject: Re: Next step with w2k iso > > > > Harry, I wish I had done my step-by-step, but I haven't, and >can't > > right now. But basically, under CD/DVD drive, just point it to >your > > ISO file and install. Should be straightforward. Let me know if >any > > problems, can troubleshoot over the weekend. - - B > > > > At 24/07/2014 22:48, you wrote: > >> Bill, > >> > >> Excuse the fear-motivated question, but now that I have the iso > > for > >> Win2K, how do I proceed? I take it that I need to install it as >a > >> virtual machine on 64-bit version of my Win 7. Is that right? > > What is > >> my next step? > >> > >> Thanks, > >> Harry > > > > > > > >