RE: VM Blues

Carl, just found out, VMware doesn't do snapshots in VMware Player,
only in the paid versions.

At 22/08/2014 16:54, you wrote:
Bill, Does VMware allow you to save snapshots of the VM? In VBox I've been taking on average one a week, after installing new software or a significant update. There may be a command-line option that would allow automatic snapshots, but I'm leery of saving the VM in a flakey state this way. The idea, of course, is to be able to revert to a stable version of the VM if something goes terribly wrong. -- Carl Distefano cld@xxxxxxxx Sent from my Verizon Wireless device -------- Original message -------- From: Bill Troop Date: 08/22/2014 9:55 AM (GMT-05:00) To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx Subject: VM Blues Recently, Win 8 forcefully upgraded itself (there was no clear way of stopping it) and I forgot to close my VMware VM. Previously, in the event of a crash, the VM had started up not where I left off, but with a fresh boot. But this time, I got a dreaded message described here: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1004232 along with cryptic cures. A better page was https://communities.vmware.com/thread/464952 and, indeed, closing VMware and deleting all possible .lck files resulted in W2K booting again properly. Clearly, I need some kind of auto-save mechanism!