Re: Reg-Read.me, and other issues

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Fri, 6 Aug
2004 17:15:51 -0400

The omission of REG-READ.ME from XYWEB117.ZIP was an oversight. It is attached
to this message. It is an ordinary XyWrite file. Store it and keep it on your
computer. It doesn't change much (or at all) from U2 version to version,
because the fundamental design of the Registry doesn't change.

Occasionally, in the normal course of maintaining XySearch, I read a few
current messages. I noticed a thread about attachments -- opinions about
whether or not to permit them. In fact, very few attachments are posted to
this NG. But I don't understand the source of this fear. Attachments are
inert and harmless unless you run them, so find out what they are first! You
need proper tools to evaluate attachments: a knowledge of how and where your
Email client files them to disk, and a plain text LISTer that will allow you to
look at raw Email files to see what they contain. M$ Outlook is the only
really dangerous Email client, because it autoruns some attachments. There's a
user setting to disable that behavior. Or get a good Email client, e.g.
Polarbar. As someone said, "sharing files and programming is important to a
lot of the discussions here."

A few users -- BrennerNY, SDv916, TBaehr, essence, rivenwolf,
david.mckittrick1, rhkubie, mitchell1, adel.darwish, Brucefelk, ArtL7, and
others -- should DISABLE the simultaneous transmission of plain-text and HTML
copies of their messages. This is a PLAIN-TEXT ONLY maillist.

There are three reasons why you might see the error message "Install the
XyWWWeb Registry":
1) REG is not installed
2) REG is not located in a valid directory
3) Out of Memory condition prevails
Reason 2 is most likely the culprit. REG *must* be in a directory that exists
in the DOS PATH! The directory where EDITOR.EXE is located SHOULD (MUST) be in
the DOS PATH! Command, at DOS, "SET PATH" to see whether Editor's dir is
included. If it isn't, add it to the environment (Control Panel ==> System ==>
Advanced ==> Environment Variables ==> in System Variables highlight Path ==>
Edit... ==> under Variable Value, insert:
 d:\xy4;
or whatever your Editor directory is -- make sure you add a terminal semicolon
to the spec. Then Reboot.). Put REG in Editor's directory. Make sure there
is only ONE copy of REG on your machine!

Somebody said "I received a warning before downloading from xywwweb so I am a
bit skittish, given the other messages regarding a virus." What warning might
that be, and whence came it? We're not certified by Microsoft or Thawte or
something? Ridiculous. It's a clean site, although of course we are not
responsible for the content of external sites that we hyperlink (or XyperLink
in XYWWWEB.INF).

Somebody asked "Question: does U2 make any changes to the registry on install?"
Carl responded: "You mean the Windows Registry?? No, of course not. U2
doesn't make any changes to anything. You copy a file to a directory, period."
If user is asking whether U2 changes XYWWWEB.REG, the answer (as Carl implies)
is also No. BUT: variables required in the XyWWWeb.REGistry *may* change.
New ones may be added, and old ones may be deleted. You should compare the REG
template distributed with each new U2 to your current existing REG file, to see
if you need to make any edits to REG. If a new variable appears, copy it into
your current REG and alter it as necessary -- if you don't know what it means,
just copy it anyway as-is. If an old variable has disappeared, you can safely
delete it from your copy of REG. Perform this comparison and edit as soon as
possible after you install any new U2!

A new U2 will probably be issued later this year.

Bye

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx