Re: U2 version 119

** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Tue, 03
Jan 2006 01:41:45 -0500

Judith:

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

>> It occurs to me that I should add to the README.HTM instructions that, just
>> before RUNning REGCFG.PM, you should LOAD the new XYWWWEB.U2!

> MmmHmm. Also indicate somewhere that README.HTM is the former
> README.1ST.

Done. The reason I changed this is that I didn't want to maintain two
radically different versions of the same text, one formatted for the Web and
another formatted for XyWrite. Seems to me that the Web version is more
important.

> All you need is some kind of be-not-afraid notice about what to
> expect.

I now post a 3-second PRompt in REGCFG.PM, just before it drops to DOS to
search for files: "Be patient! Not Found/Not Ready errors are NORMAL..." Then
they see a whole bunch of File Not Found/Device Not Ready errors. Good enough?

> Another thing that hung me up was REG-READ.ME. It opens fine in
> Xywrite, but can't be printed under XP.

It isn't intended to be printed -- it is part text and part program. Same with
XyWWWeb.INF, our big Help file. CanNOT be printed! You can't print some
files, you know -- not without taking extra measures, such as loading a PRN
that strips all formatting (STRIP.PRN, MAIL.PRN).

> What is cURL? I suspect that I personally don't need it

cURL is a very small, very flexible file transfer utility. U2 uses it for
almost all external connectivity. So leave it! Maybe you personally need it,
maybe you don't. Consider it from our point of view: down the line, users
come here and say "this doesn't work, that doesn't work" -- and we waste a lot
of time trying to figure out why! That's the reason we created U2UTILS.EXE --
so that everybody has the basic files, and we don't encounter that problem.
Same reason we wrote REGCFG.PM: so that everybody has at least a basic,
functioning REGfile. Trying to simplify! Trying to nudge users who are
progressively DOS-challenged toward NBWin! Do you "personally need"
SHIMGVW.DLL in your %COMSPEC% directory? Should you delete it, perhaps,
especially since Microsoft is not "particularly informative" about what it
does? You wouldn't do that.

Here's an example of what cURL can do. Command:
 HELP CAPSYNC2
See the highlighted "CAPSLOCK.EXE" on the second line of this Index entry?
Clear your CMline (empty), put your text cursor (not mouse cursor) anywhere on
top of "CAPSLOCK.EXE", and hit your . Boom: CAPSLOCK.EXE (actually
CAPSLOCK.ZIP) is downloaded to your current directory. That's a XyperLink. A
handy facility to have, no?

> Oh, and now I've just discovered that I can no longer use ST on
> the command line to store a file.

That's retaliation for the bad modify/delete impulse discussed above. Hmmm.
What are you talking about? The XyWrite STore command? Works fine here...
Ah, OK, the U2 command ST -- yes, I see what you mean... OK, fixed.
The beauty of this REG system is that it removes all personal configuration
from U2 itself, so if you want to upgrade U2, all you do is swap your old U2
file for a new U2 file, and relaunch XyWrite -- and you're Done. I've posted
the fix in a refreshed XYWEB119.ZIP.

> And each time I open Xywrite now, there's an x on the right side
> of the status line even before I open any files.

Normal. Just means you're using an overflow file. It comes and goes. CRG
p.3-6. You might consider enabling expanded memory.

Thanks again.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx