Re: a first time question for everyone

At 11:28 AM 8/23/01 -0500, you wrote:

Dear Doctor Knouse,

I'd say go with eCom Station, as Steve Crutchfield suggests. I've been
running XyWrite for Dos
XyWrite for Windows (WINOS2, version 3.1 of Windows, which is incorporated
in OS/2), and
NB for DOS under OS/2 for seven years or so. Few probs.

Like you, I just bought a new computer. Am about to install eCom Station,
and I'm happy to learn from Steve C. that Xy and NB run fine under ecs.

He must, I think, be referring to Nota Bene for DOS, since the recently
released Nota Bene for Windows runs only under Windows 95, 98, or higher.
If you expect to maintain and catalog extensive archives of text and e-mail
correspondence, Nota Bene would certainly be of use. You will want the
Windows version, which is well supported and under continuous development.

And you may one day find you want other software programs that are written
for Windows 95+ only. The Encyclopedia Britannica, say, and perhaps some
altmed programs--though quite a few of those for TCM I've seen listed run
under Win 3.1 and would do fine under WINOS2.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Bob Hemenway

You wrote:

>I have just purchased a new computer, and would like to set it up properly
from day one. Here is what I need to do:

>1. Prepare documents in xywrite or NB.
>2. surf the web big-time.
>3. download lots of text from the web, organize, and print.
>4. maintain very active email.
>
>That's pretty much IT!! I just use a computer to accomplish specific
tasks; I don't give a damn about all the bells and whistles and windows
whatevers.

>My request is this:
>
>what operating system other than windows can I use, what web browser, what
email server, and xy or NB for the operating system in question - that
would all work together wonderfully to accomplish the 4 goals listed above
and be able to divorce completely from Microsoft, Exporer, Outloook and
Word? (gag retch)