Re: Using XyWrite with XP OS

I don't know what's better or worse, but I do pretty much the same
multiple windows thing on a single sorta big (17 inch) LCD
monitor. And it does have the virtue of leaving my actual desk
fairly clear for other things. I do, to be sure, use the highest
screen resolution--but, for me at least, that's a good and
comfortable thing anyway.
But, of course, there are problems. With my particular set-up--the
above monitor on a Pentium 4 with Windows XP--I cannot run XY in
graphics mode or in any full-screen mode--it freezes the window. It
works fine in the Windows modes and prints fine. (On my wife's
XP/Celeron with 15 inch LCD XY works fine in all modes--but I don't
have the higher resolution that makes multiple windows
practical. And on my Dell Inspiron XP/P4 laptop it all works fine
[again, without the higher resolution]--except for the lack of a
parallel port.)

                        David

At 08:56 PM 9/9/2005, you wrote:
Harry B. wrote,
> And any of you who are not
> working with two or more monitors in 2K or XP are really missing out.

Robert replied:
Elucidate, please! What can you do -- what do _you_ do -- with two or more
monitors? As opposed, say, to two windows on the Desktop, or Alt-Tab, etc.?
There are many times when I need to look up something in one program
(usually in a web browser) that I'm going to use in regard to
another program--e.g., Googling a fact or a quote to drop into a
Xywrite-produced article, or into an email. With one monitor I have
to either shrink down one or both windows to an awkwardly small
size, or Alt-Tab back and forth. But when I Alt-Tab back and forth,
one of them is usually hidden.
A non-Xy example is when I'm having some difficulty with a program
and I want to search the web to get info on solving it. With a
single monitor, I have to remember the information I've found when I
turn to applying it to fixing my problem. With two monitors, the
info in the browser is on one monitor while the problem program is
also open on the other, so I can look back and forth.
As you are probably aware, the dual-monitor set-up is totally
seamless: the mouse moves the cursor back and forth between the two
(which I set up right next to each other, abutting each other)
without the slightest hiccup. You can even drag a given program's
open window to be partly displayed on one monitor, partly on another.
It's like doubling your screen real-estate. This is one of those
things that once you've tried you'll never go back. With flat panel
displays so cheap, it's really worth it. But you probably have an
old extra monitor around somewhere to test it out on. I do recommend
putting them right next to each other.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx