Re: Backup--OT

Update:
I found a youtube video on it. There's an option in the Disk Management utility (you can get to that through a bunch of menu steps, but it's easier to just run C:\Windows\System32\diskmgmt.msc).
Now the BIG question is whether you can mirror C:
and produce a bootable drive. There's controversy
on that. On one site, a commenter says this, which I don't fully understand:
You can boot from a mirrored system disk if one fails no problem&
You just mirror both the system reserved partition and your boot drive to a second empty disk.
Disk 1 = |System Reserved|c:\|
Disk 2 = |System Reserved|c:\|
Or if you only have c:\ then just mirror that (depending on how Windows was installed you may not have system reserved partition  just c:)
=======================================

I think I understand that: the disk management utility says I have, first,
  SYSTEM_DRV 289 MB NTFS Healthy (System, Active Primary Partition),
then:
PosySSD (C:), 118.86 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Logical Drive)

So I guess I would mirror each in turn. But then it gets a little hairy:

=================================
When you create a Mirror of the system drive with Windows 7, Server 2008 and Server 2012 the OS creates a startup boot menu consisting of the boot OS (Windows 7 ) and a second choice (Windows 7  Secondary Plex)
So the boot menu looks like:

Server 2008 (Default)
Server 2008  Secondary Plex

Both of the above will boot.
If the mirrored drive fails no problem it will still boot from the primary as normal. If the Primary fails then unplug it from the m/board, plug the secondary drive into the port the primary was connected to and it WILL boot.
(just choose secondary plex on the boot menu)

It's pretty clear, but I'm completely unfamilar with this Plex thing.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

--Harry
but these are growing scarce. For a laptop that will permit two disk drives but that does not have a hardware RAID controller, either MacOS or Windows will do software RAID 1.

REALLY?! I knew Mac does, but what is the Win program for that?