Re: Xy4 Setup

Reply to note from "Harrison, Shawn"
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:19:48 -0500

-> In Xy3, when I'm editing in non-expanded mode, I can type an
-> embedded code right into the text, i.e., . At the first
-> chevron, the program will highlight it and say "Invalid
-> formatting command", but I can type the rest of the code, and
-> at the last chevron, the program will interpret it for me.
->
-> When I try to do the same thing in Xy4, the program beeps,
-> moves the cursor, and doesn't let me continue entering my
-> code.

Why on *earth* would you want to do such a thing, Shawn? Entering
embedded codes directly into text is precisely what eXPanded view is
for! (Anyway, I should talk. In III+ I used to write XPL in draft
view on the theory that that it helped develop visual memory. Now
what was I saying?)

Ah, yes. If you absolutely insist, an acceptable compromise might
be to use key assignments to toggle into eXPanded view on the open
guillemet and back into your normal editing view on the close. For
example, if you edit in Draft (WG) view:

nn=XP<
mm=NO>,WG

Comments:

1) "<" and ">" are pseudo-code for the printable (3-byte) Euroquote
characters required in KBD file usage to map "live" guillemets to
keys.

2) You need the func NO (No Operation) in the second assignment
because the rule is that a complex key assignment must begin with a
function. If no function is called for, use NO.

3) No, I didn't forget the commas. You can drop the comma after a
function -- with real savings in scarce customization memory if done
throughout the KBD file.

My question still is: Why?

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx