Re: Off topic ZIP formats

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> I'm not sure if I downloaded all the files I need. I have
> zip23x.zip
> unz542x3.exe
> unz542x.exe

Let me check my Archiver collection for Win. O.K., the one that's plugged in
(to ZTree, my cross-platform file mgr., which functions as a shell to operate
various archivers, so I seldom have to mess with command line arguments) is
5.32, dated 11/97. For OS/2, I have a couple versions from the 5.4x and 5.5x
series. The significance of this is that some important feature I can't recall
at the moment was removed for legal reasons. (Shades of PRD+ and abbreviation
expansion in Xy.) The open source guys who ported one of these later versions
to OS/2 also added that feature back ! I don't know if they were allowed to,
but they did it. I was going to see if this might have happened also with the
later Win-32 versions, but I guess I never got around to it. Maybe Robert knows
more about this.

> I'm perfectly comfortable at the command line IF I know what command to
> issue, and I didnt find (but perhaps didn't look deeply enough)
> instructions on installing. Which of these files do I run first?

Absent a shell of some sort, you'll need to become familiar with the common
command syntax. Most likely, you can put some of those into batch files, making
use of %1 etc., so you just need to specifiy the target file. Unfortunately, I
always found the InfoZip docs to be rather mediocre, more a matter of
organization than anything else.

If you're really confused about the files you picked up, I could zip up my 5.32
directory and send it to you.

Jordan