Re: Word for Word Filters

"Patricia M. Godfrey" wrote:
(regarding WordPort)

> It has a few bugs: my
> current version doesn't correctly render XyWrite's em dash to
> WordPerfect's, and I think it also gets one of the smart quotes wrong,
> but I called it to their attention a couple of years ago, so one hopes
> they got it fixed.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I tried to call some things to their
attention -- crashing GPF type things -- and they essentially denied a
problem existed. If I recall correctly, going *to* Xy did not trip these
problems, but going from formatted Xy to various versions of MS Word did.
(Or maybe it was the other way around.) Anyway, I was using recent versions
of _both_ their 16-bit and 32-bit converter. The former ceased development
at a certain version.

These crashes greatly reduced the value of their product. Even when it
worked, the conversions left a lot to be desired. During the era when they
were current, the MasterSoft suite was clearly superior, in my opinion.

Jordan